Thursday, July 10, 2008

July is here

It's been a while. I don't feel like I have a whole lot to say and I've been kind of bad about taking photos...but here are some from the past couple of weeks. :

Sunday sunset at Karitane...I went for a run around on the Pa (Maori safe haven from attack, kind of like a fort but made all natural like by the sea).


The man coming in from a wintery surf.



Photo from the newspaper of the sunrise on my birthday...I woke up to our bedroom glowing red and peeked out the curtains to see the sky on fire. It was pretty amazing.



Much more subdude sunrise on July 4th. Still, the sky and sea in NZ seem to be central themes to my photograph taking.


The ocean view from an area called "The Catlins" which is about 100km south of Dunedin. We drove our bikes down there last weekend and went for a ride until we a) ran out of paved road and b) it started to rain. It was the day of the rainbow...none pictured here, but I swear we must have seen about 15 that day.


We checked out the hide on a beach, but didn't seen any penguin buddies.


Roaring Bay in The Catlins.


Rainbow through car window during sunset on ride home.


On Tuesday I went to a native forest south of town with a woman who is funded by the same NSF grant that got me here. She collects these super cool long necked spiders (genus afrarchaea) that are Gondwanan and now only found in the cooler regions of the southern hemisphere continents. Anyway, after a while in the woods I set off on my bike to ride back home. I had a route mapped out from the airport back into town (which was 30kms) and didn't think it was that big of a deal...this is the starting scene...me, open road, no traffic, my bike, and a rainbow (with no rain!). I was stoked.



What I didn't realize is that it was 30 more kms to the airport from where I started...oopsie. So, I rode for a long while...had a couple of phone conversations with Ian who was out there riding and trying to find me. Of course he didn't because I was pretty far from town. But, when the sun started to set and I had only gone 34 kms, I decided to call in for a pick-up...

In the end, 44kms and a cool adventure with just me and my bike... priceless!


Yesterday we took our newly instilled afternoon break and drove out to another beautiful little seaside town where they carve words into the bushes.

We rode along the uppy-downy coast road to Karitane (photograph at top). Fabulous...and it was a lot like summer yesterday and very little like winter...

Winter will come tomorrow when we head to the mountains for a ski weekend.

Sorry, other than the update, I don't seem to have much interesting to add about the state of things in the world. The only funny news I've come across lately is that brothels in NV are handing out fuel vouchers to stimulate business. Puts new meaning into the term "gas and go" doesn't it?

No comments: