Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Beginning


Hello Friends and Family.

Once upon a time I had a blog but I got rid of it. Now, since I'm even more removed from all of you down here near the bottom of the world, I figure it's time to begin again. So, hi.

I am in Dunedin, which is at the bottom of the South Island of New Zealand. It's winter and these New Zealanders don't heat their buildings (except the hosptial, library, etc...). So, it's typically as cold outside as inside...not soooo bad since it's been averaging around 45 degrees F.


Since I arrived I have been craving wintery foods...it's just what happens, I think. Oatmeal and espresso are breakfast, delicious savory pies are lunch, and roasted root veggies happened for dinner the other night. Man, how much did I miss winter food?

The wintery food consumption seems like a good option in theory, but the current lack daylight hours and warmth is making my exercise motivation fly away...something will change soon. There's a ton of Pilates studios here, but they all seem to be with machines rather than my loved and more desired Mat classes.

...and I took a break to walk down three stories of the Geology building to go to the bathroom and ran into the only man in Dunedin who goes to Pilates Mat classes regularly...seems I'll be going with him tonight! How bout that.

Well, in order to keep you interested I will leave you hanging. But, do know that I desperately want to snack on some Cheezels right now... mmmmmm...mmm.mmmmmm.
Oh, and here's me working on bubbles bubbles bubbles...notice sweater, gloved hands and down vest. But hey, my desk is nice.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Sending you lots of warmth from the land of 24 hour daylight! How long are you there?? I'll be in NZ in October!! xxxxx -Leslie

faerwear said...

what are bubbles? i mean, as far as what you're working on?

Unknown said...

Ooooh, I remember winter in Dunedin! I lived in an unheated flat (above the Green Acorn Cafe, which is on the corner of Cumberland and St. David, just off of campus) with three flatmates, some mice, and some slugs! If you want FANTASTIC pizza, try Poppa's Pizza (74 Albany Street). I think it's some of the best pizza I've ever had!

Have fun--I'm jealous (hope to make it back to Dunedin some day!). Look forward to reading your blog!