Thursday, June 12, 2008

The price of gas...

I've been sitting here drawing lines around bubbles for the past several days...well, I do it more than just the past several, but let's not get into the boringness of my life. While sitting here I have taken to listening to the news. NPR always gets my vote and I find different programs on different websites, but mostly I stick to KCRW's online website. But, I get sick of BBC news after a while then just go to other sources listening to American news shows...All Things Considered, To The Point, etc... But, I think I just like to hear people talk and tell me stories. I swear if there was a "People Magazine" that I could listen to online I'd jump on it...maybe there is, hum...

Anyway, the dominant story (other than the obvious political situation) is the outrage of Americans at the price of gasoline. Seriously? Outraged? Come on.... Non-renewable resource, much? Growing and already very large developing nations, maybe? AND, not to mention that gas is super cheap in the US compared to other countries...even neighboring Canada. Here, well...let me just show you:


That's not cheap. You see...that price is per liter. A US gallon of gasoline has 3.79 liters in it... Hum...so for road trip to the North Island starting tomorrow we will be paying about $7.85 per gallon of gasoline. Hum... Interesting. At least we're driving one of these (a Honda City):


Speaking of vehicles and gasoline...I was overjoyed to learn that GM is selling the Hummer brand! YAY!! Finally...in the not-so-nick of time...


Short story from http://solveclimate.com/blog/20080603/gm-sell-hummer-brand-now-auto-industrys-worst-performer


GM to Sell Hummer Brand -- Now the Auto Industry's Worst Performer

Saying that the market shift to smaller vehicles is permanent, Rick Wagoner, the General Motors CEO, today announced that the company is considering the sale of the Hummer brand. Wagoner also announced the closing of 4 truck plants and said the company would focus on making smaller calls -- including its electric vehicle, the Volt.

For a number of years the Hummer was

one of GM's strongest brands. Now it is its worst -- in fact it is currently the worst-performing car brand in the US auto industry, with sales down 30% over the last year.

While announcing the possible sale, Wagoner did not specify who would be foolish enough to buy the troubled brand.

Perhaps the American Museum of Natural History should consider an acquisition for its great hall of dinosaurs.




Bye y'all. I may not be around for another week.
Have good ones.

1 comment:

Sandy and Terry said...

Great story and yes we are spoiled when it comes to gas prices but I LIKE THE OLD PRICES!!! You know we have a big motorhome to drive around!!

Love you